So you are not yet engaged, but planning your wedding ? Well this year you have a fantastic opportunity to propose in a very traditional way! Leap Year has been the traditional time that women can propose marriage
to their boyfriend instead of their boyfriend taking that leap... In many of today's cultures, it is becoming normal for a woman to propose marriage to a man and society doesn't look down on such women.
Unfortunantly that hasn't always been the case. When the rules of courtship were stricter, women were only allowed to pop the question on one day every four years. That day was February 29th. And if a woman proposed in leap year but was turned down, the man had to give her a kiss and a silk gown. So, perhaps if you don't have the person in your life with whom you would like to spend the rest of your life, you could just propose to the nearest rich person you know and go shopping afterwards ... :)
It is believed this tradition was started in 5th century Ireland when St. Bridget complained to St. Patrick about women having to wait for so long for a man to propose. According to legend, St. Patrick said the yearning females could propose on this one day in February during the leap year.
So how to pop a question? Here are some proposal don't and does :
1. Don't think you're all alone. 9 per cent of proposals are from women to men, and 80 per cent of men would accept a proposal from a woman.
2. Don't get down on one knee, especially if you're in stilettos. Women rarely look good in this position and you may find his head tilting down your breasts. Plus, if you're already doing the asking, you don't want to look particularly craven. Maybe not like this ?
3. Don't stress him out. A gentle query over the washing up ('wanna share these suds... forever') will probably be less heart attack-inspiring than the full-on string quartet airport dash. Remember, it's women who go to see romantic movies and read romantic books...
4. Don't propose if you are not sure of your own feelings and/or feelings of your boyfriend. The marriege won't fix problems and issues.
5. I know this might sound silly, but do wait till his team wins a big game. When in a happy mood there is more chance he will say - yes. And remember if football is important part of your man's life, that won't change after the wedding.
6. You could always cheat a little by holding up a piece of card that says 'Will you marry me?' on it, and ask him to read it out loud. Then just say, 'Why, I'd be delighted.'
7. They say that the road to the man's heart go thro the stomack, so you could dress in your sexy best, cook his favorite meal or go to a nice restaurant and pop the question at the moment when bouth are relaxed . Well at that moment he is probably the only relaxed one... :)
8. Of course, if you lose your nerve, you could drop back to the more traditional methods, like mooching very slowly past jewellery shops (remember: men are stupid), asking him whether he likes gold or platinum ('just wondered') and if he would ever get married who his best man would be (´ i'm just curious what are you thinking ? )... :)
Interested in real stories about Leap Year proposals? Here you can find 3 proposals made by brave women and some proposal tips :)
If you are interested in different ways to make your proposal, here are 46 Ideas on How to Propose
Ps: Lets just hope he won't answer with " maybe" , as then neither marriege or silk gown will be yours .. :)