Friday, March 2, 2012

Taking care of the bridal hair

I've been lately panicking about my hair. Usual me wouldn't care much about the condition and length of my hair. Actually i haven't cut my hair at all for almost 3 years and only now since I'm officially can call myself "bride", i started to care how my hair looks. But like with everything i do, i went over the board with this matter as well... I either do nothing or do 300 % and more :)

(ahhaa... found ya, thought you could hide ? )


Well, I do think of a wedding as a good excuse to take better take care of myself. That is both from inside and outside. Of course every bride wants to look the best they ever had before on their wedding day. Of course we want that our guests would be stunned by our looks and wedding photos would be simply gorgeous reminder of a fantastic day we had. Oh and of course i want my fiance to think that i am the most beautiful in the whole world! But this panicking of my little hair ends looking in the wrong directions, searching for hair splits with scissors in my right hand, reading millions of posts on different forums about haircare.. Measuring my hair with expectation of some growth happening...Yeah this is going out of the normal proportions, lol :)

My grandmother always said, that hair is girl's crown. And if it's really a crown, then i think we should take good care of it! I'm ashamed to say that i haven't been taking too good care of my hair for long LONG time, but now it's over!

Even tho i haven't care about my hair much in the resent years ( or maybe because of that ) my hair isn't in too dreadful condition. Here are the basic rules I've been always having :
  • I do not shampoo my hair everyday. Someone girls might think I'm crazy, but you don't need to shampoo your hair every day. Over shampooing can strip your hair of its natural oils leaving it dull and lifeless. And i feel the more i wash it the faster it gets dirty.
  • I do not wash my hair with hot water. Especially I've noticed that my hair is more silky looking if i use colder water at the end.
  • I rarely use a blow dryer or curling iron (anything that has high heat)
  • I blot the excess water out of my hair rather than rub it. Then comb it out ( nowadays with wide tooth wooden comb) and allow my hair to air dry. This might sound surprising, but the thing that damages the hair the most is rubbing it vigorously with a towel.
  • Use quality shampoo, conditioner and do hair masks at least once in two weeks. Alcohol and other chemicals can damage your hair, so i choose shampoos and conditioners that contain nourishing botanical ingredient and no silicon in it.
  • At winter time i do use a leave in conditioners as well as it makes my hair less electric.
Especially if your hair is dry, damage and has lost its shine i would really recommend using the hair masks. You do not need necessarily use the products at the store. Here is a recipe of a homemade hair mask. I hope you will like it as much as i do.

Ingredients:

  • 1 egg yolk ( remember for some hair extra protein can be bad and for some good, so be careful with the first try. I would suggest to try on a little part).
  • a table spoon of honey (i heard can lighten your hair a little, but personally i haven't seen changes)
  • 2 table spoons of extra virgin olive oil ( but actually any vegetable oils can be used as well )
  • in some recipes they do put for example a banana and avocado, but i feel it is little hard to get the banana of my hair, so i wouldn't recommend it 

Directions:
  1. Put all ingredients together and stir until well combined.
  2. Apply to hair from roots to tips. Especially tips of the hair can be extra dry and need some nutrition.
  3. Leave in for 30 minutes and then wash out with a moisturizing shampoo. You can wrap head with shower cap.
  4. Double the recipe for long hair.
  5. Use twice a month to maintain healthy hair.
  6. Remember that if you use egg yolk in your hair wash it off with slightly colder water, this is because yolk can start to " cook " in your hair when you are washing it off with hot water, which can result in damaging your hair.
This mask is very sticky. When you first time use this mask you might feel little scared and wonder if you ever be able to take the mask off your hair. No worries we all think same way when putting the mask on for the first time, but surprisingly in half an hour your hair will "drink" most of the ingredients into itself and the rest will wash out first with water and shampoo will take off the rest.

The most easy thing is to just use different oils in your hair. The extra virgin olive oils, coconut oils and such. You can use them as a mask even for over the night treatment or you can put few drops on your ends when your hair is dry.

I will be posting about my "me care" obsession progressions, so keep coming hehe

Katherine


No comments:

Post a Comment